November 21, 2013

it's funny

I spent a lot of year, a LOT of year, terrified at the idea of going back to work. I'm not sure why, really. I loved being a teacher. Or at least I loved teaching. I didn't always like the politics of teaching. Or the dealing with parents part. But the teaching I liked. The other teachers I loved. And then after Briton was born I started feeling panicky about leaving him, leaving the house, leaving the routine of being a stay at home mom. And every time I got close to thinking about it, I'd start panicking again and decide that it wasn't time.

So it's kind of funny that last year, just about now, I spent a whirlwind day ridding one child of lice with Nix and a very short buzz cut, bug bombing myself and everything washable in my house and then flying down to the library for a job interview.

Have I told you that I work at the library? I don't think I have. Which, again, is odd. Because after years and years of having no interest in working outside the house. I. Love. My. Job. I love it. And it so quickly became part of my everyday that it didn't seem mentionable, I guess. Or maybe I've said something in passing over the last year. I'm not sure, and the search function on Blogger is down, so...there you go. I'm going to guess that you didn't know that.

I kind of feel like being a librarian is, for me, a sort of "duh, well of course" kind of thing. I'm not sure why it took me so long to find it. I love libraries. Always have. I used to try to alphabetize my books and make my friends check them out. I took my kids to the library almost every day when they were little. And one of my first hero's other than my parents was the Children's Librarian at the Coeur d'Alene Public Library. She encouraged me to write and read and her story times were wonderful and I loved her. In that way that kids love great Children's Librarians and Kindergarten teachers. So it seems pretty natural that I would end up here, now, looking back. But oh well, here I am, now. Library Lady. And I love it. The highlight of my week this week was a little boy stopping me in the hall at school and saying "Hey! I know you! You're the LIBRARIAN!"

Which is all a long way of saying that I'm not blogging as much because, well, I'm busy. I'm still freelancing and writing patterns and cooking dinner and renovating the house (oh wait till you see our newest project! Soon, soon, it's still in the back of the car) and being a mom but I'm also weeding the children's section and running makerspace classes and taking books and storytimes to preschools that can't come into the library and taking classes on how to be a librarian because, well, I'm learning on the job. And I find myself dithering about if something is interesting enough to blog about. This blog that has been cooking and cleaning and crafting and toddler raising, can it also be book buying and class organizing and hey, there's a flock of chickens that thinks the front steps of the library is a great place to hang out instead? Or in addition to? I'm not sure. So please forgive the lapses. I miss this old blog. But I'm not always sure what it is about anymore. Maybe just life. And life is full (and great) now.