December 30, 2011

hindsight

Last year, on the last day of the year, I was sewing little ballerina slippers for Evie. I was doing a lot of sewing. And renovating a bathroom. And gazing out at a snow yard planning for my spring garden. I had no idea, of course, that by spring we'd have the house on the market, that before summer we'd be gone, living a very different life in a very different place.
Most years I look back and think, yes, there were some surprises, but all in all, it's about what I thought it would be. You never know what's around the corner, but the unexpected isn't that extreme.

This year was not one of those years.

Two weeks off from New York has done me a world of good. I was getting to the point where I couldn't see the forest for the trees, or the beauty and excitement for the chaos and noise at least, since, well, there isn't really a forest in New York. But having stepped away from it for a bit I'm glad, mostly, to go back and dive into the city again. To spend our last four months squeezing as much adventure out of our time as possible.
I'm going to make a wild guess and say that 2012 is also going to be a year of change. I'll look back next December from...somewhere....and say "I'd never have guessed this is where we will be!" But as long as everyone is happy and healthy, and, if possible, there is a garden involved, I'm sure it will be a good thing.

Here's to the unexpected. Happy New Year everyone.