December 27, 2010

One Thing


It's a little bit strange, to look down at my workbasket, tucked under my desk where it has been (when it wasn't following me around the house) for the past few months, stuffed to the gills with things to be made. It's almost empty. A scrap of fabric from dresses for the doll, Will's slipper socks that, sadly, need to be re-knit. I planned on his long feet but forgot to add a little width for his wide ankles and alas, they are too tights. And that's it. There are other knitting projects that need to be finished. I gave up on trying to get Evelyn's sweater done when I realized i needed yet another skein of yarn and didn't have time to go get it and instead knit her (and then a boy version for her brother when he loved hers) the elf hat from More Last Minute Knitted Gifts for a solstice gift. I have a hat in progress for myself as well but now nothing is pressing. Nothing has to be done by this day or that event. And I can't decide if it feels refreshing or desolate. Both at the same time I expect.
There are still lots of projects, as there always are. Work to be done, bathrooms to be finished (the bead board is up!) classes to teach, a new sewing pattern on my desk, siding on the mudroom to decide on because wow would it be nice to have a mudroom right about now but what I really want to do this week is read. Last night I curled up in bed with a book for the first time in I don't know how long. Over the past few months I've done most of my reading (what I can squeeze in, that is) on my phone. And I love that. I really do. It means that I can read anywhere without having to wonder if I have my book with me. It's certainly made my purse a lot lighter since I used to have at least one book in there all the time, just in case. But I miss books. I've been so flat out busy for the past six months that I almost didn't notice that I barely read anymore. Once upon a time I thought I would keel over if I didn't get a good chuck of reading time in every single day. And Pinkalicious for the thousandth time didn't count.

And now I consider myself lucky if I can eek enough here and there moments with my Kindle App to finish my book club book each month. So this week my One Thing is going to be something a little different, an early New Year's Resolution. I'm not usually a big resolution girl, but this year I have a few, and this one, reading more, is starting now. Today.

How about you? Are you feeling lost without Christmas preparations? Are you making New Year's Resolutions yet?What are you up to in this last week of the year?

One Thing
A Monday habit. Share the one thing that you want to do this week, just for you. Tell us what you are working on in the comments and link back to your blog so we can see all the fun things you do!

So, what will you be up to this week?